DHA told to attach Musharraf’s properties

DHA told to attach Musharraf’s properties

DHA told to attach Musharraf’s properties KARACHI: A sessions court directed the Defence Housing Authority (DHA) again on Tuesday to confiscate properties of retired Gen Pervez Musharraf over his extended absence in a high treason case.

On the directive of the south district and sessions judge, a court official (Nazir) wrote a letter to the DHA administrator last week, asking him to attach four properties owned by the former military ruler within the jurisdiction of the DHA.

However, a compliance report, submitted in the court by the DHA, was silent about the two properties owned by the former military ruler.

According to the report, a plot (172) at Khayaban-i-Faisal and plots (301/I & 301/II) at Beach Street I, were found in the name of Gen Musharraf and the court order has been complied with.

The Nazir in his letter dated July 26 had directed that the properties, including a bungalow in the Army Housing Scheme, Zamzama, Phase-V, DHA, Karachi, and three plots (Nos 6, 172 & 301) in the Army Housing Scheme, Part-II Clifton, Khayaban-i-Faisal, and Beach Street, Phase-VIII, DHA, be attached under Section 88 (attachment of property of the person absconding) of the criminal procedure code in connection with a high treason case pending against Gen Musharraf before a special court in Islamabad.

On Tuesday, the court official sent the same letter again to the DHA with the direction to attach the rest of the properties and also wrote a letter to the Military Estate Office for details about the bungalow in question and sought compliance reports within three days for onward transmission to the special court.

On July 19, a three-judge special court, headed by Justice Mazhar Alam Miankhel, the chief justice of the Peshawar High Court, had ordered the authorities to attach Gen Musharraf’s moveable and immovable properties as he had failed to turn up in court since March despite several court orders.

Gen Musharraf left the country on March 18 after his name was removed from the Exit Control List (ECL) after the Supreme Court upheld a Sindh High Court order for removing his name from the ECL.

Another suspect remanded in rally attack case

The administrative judge of the antiterrorism courts remanded on Tuesday a suspect in police custody in a case pertaining to an armed attack on the rally of a nationalist party four years back.

The suspect, Sarwar Qureshi, was produced in court and the investigation officer sought his custody for questioning. The administrative judge handed him over to police custody till Aug 10.

Initially, Rangers held the suspect under three-month preventive detention for an inquiry and they had handed over the suspect to police.

According to the prosecution, the Awami Tehreek took out a Mohabbat-i-Sindh rally from Lyari to the Karachi Press Club on May 22, 2012. However, when the procession was passing through Napier Road it came under an armed attack that killed six people, including a woman, and wounding nine others.

Amir Ali alias Sarphata has already been arrested in this case. A former chief of Muttahida Qaumi Movement’s Karachi Tanzeemi Committee, Hammad Siddiqui, and others are shown as absconders.

Two Afghans convicted

A judicial magistrate convicted two Afghan men of illegally staying in Pakistan after they entered a guilty plea on Tuesday.

The court sentenced them for a period they already had undergone in prison and directed the jail authorities to make necessary arrangements, through the provincial home department, for their deportation.

The police arrested Mohammad Khan and Mutho Khan in a SITE area last month.

Source: http://www.dawn.com/news/1274957/dha-again-told-to-attach-musharrafs-properties

Leave a Comment