Lesco chief removed over poor performance LAHORE: The Water and Power Ministry on Saturday removed Lahore Electric Supply Company (Lesco) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Chaudhry Anwar after only two months of his appointment and replaced him with Wajid Ali Kazmi.
Mr Anwar has allegedly been removed over poor performance. He is among the four Lesco CEOs removed since June 2, 2014. He remained on the position for two months only after the ministry had appointed him on Aug 2 this year in place of his predecessor, Qaisar Zaman.
“Though I have yet to receive a notification in writing, but I have received a copy on Whatsapp,” Kazmi told Dawn. He said he had been transferred here from his post as the Islamabad Electric Supply Company (Iesco) customer service head.
Ministry notifies new board of directors
According to sources, Mr Anwar, who was previously the general manager (technical), was removed from the job after he failed to deliver — particularly addressing complaints related to overbilling, recovery.
He was not available for comments despite repeated calls.
New Lesco CEO Kazmi said he would take over charge as soon as he received the orders.
When asked about his previous services with Lesco, he said he had worked as an executive engineer many years ago. “Later, I was transferred to Iesco,” he added.
According to official sources, the ministry issued another notification constituting a new Lesco Board of Directors.
The new board members include Badaruz Zaman, Sara Daood, Zafar Usmani, Nawaz Kasuri, Abdul Qayyum Malik, Irfan Akram, the secretary (energy), deputy secretary (finance) and the CEO.
The government had earlier removed Mr Qaisar Zaman by cancelling his extension period, as some senior ministry officials were annoyed with him after the death of a number of people due to electrocution in Lahore and Kasur.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had taken notice of the incident where two people were killed due to electrocution in an area on Ferozepur Road.
Besides the CEO, State Minister for Water and Power Abid Sher Ali had suspended some other Lesco officers, including a superintending engineer, after the prime minister’s notice.
On June 2, 2014, then Lesco CEO Arshad Rafique and director operations Mahboob Ali were removed from office by then water and power secretary Nargis Sethi for illegally diverting electricity to areas of their choice and taking money from ‘clients’ for supplying power during forced or scheduled power shutdowns.
On April 28, 2015, a central judge (FIA courts) had acquitted both of charges of misappropriation and misuse of authority. Mr Rafiq was succeeded by Rao Zameeruddin on officiating basis, who served for about a year. He was also removed, and replaced by Mr Zaman. Officials also questioned the practice by the ministry and board of directors of running Lesco through officiating bosses for long.